Medical and Research Information
- Those interested in the technical details of A1c testing will want to read a Comparison Between Abbott IMx and BioRad HPLC Methods for Determination of Glycosylated Hemoglobin A1c Levels in Subjects with Normal and Atypical Hemoglobins, written by a team at the Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Visit the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists home page. Be sure to read the AACE Guidelines for the Management of Diabetes Mellitus.
- CenterWatch Clinical Trials Listing Service includes information about clinical trials related to diabetes. Be sure to see if there is a trial near you.
- The Congenital Hyperinsulinism Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is an excellent resource on hypoglycemia in infants and children.
- The Dermatology Online Journal offers an extensive review of diabetes complications and the skin. Viewer discretion is advised.
- Diabetes Care is a professional journal for the health care practitioner that is intended to increase knowledge, stimulate research, and promote better management of people with diabetes. This link contains summaries of many articles, most of which are quite technical.
- The Diabetes Dictionary explains terms you will encounter with diabetes.
- DiabetesGenes.org provides information on Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young (MODY), Renal Cysts and Diabetes, Type 2 Diabetes and Rare Types of Diabetes.
- A Diabetes Introduction is available for those who do not understand Type 1 diabetes.
- A Multidisciplinary Approach to Diabetic Neuropathy Treatment represents up-to-date research work.
- The Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) is the first nationwide research study designed to find out whether type 2 diabetes can be prevented through diet and exercise, or medication.
- DIDMOAD by Joy Koenig, MD, discusses Wolfram Syndrome, a rare genetic disorder also known as DIDMOAD (Diabetes Insipidus, Diabetes Mellitus, Optic Atrophy, and Deafness).
- The Endocrine Pancreas includes an excellent introduction to the functioning of the pancreas, including insulin synthesis, the action of insulin, and glucagon.
- Free Medical Journals Site has links to many medical journals, some of which publish articles about diabetes.
- The Healing Handbook for Persons with Diabetes is an amazingly thorough, on-line book about diabetes. This handbook embodies the approach of the diabetes care team at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center. Especially good is Chapter 13: Diabetes and the Family, with sections about Advice for Parents of Children with Diabetes and What School Personnel Should Know About the Student with Diabetes.
- Health On the Net Foundation is the leading organization promoting and guiding the deployment of useful and reliable online medical and health information, and its appropriate and efficient use.
- Learn the latest about islet cell transplantation in Islet Cell Transplantation: Working Toward a Cure.
- ISPAD Rare Diabetes offers information about rare forms of diabetes.
- Kidney Options has information for patients with kidney disease.
- Learn how you can reuse syringes and lancets.
- Pharmaceutical Reimbursement Assistance Programs can help provide free insulin and diabetes medications to those who cannot afford them.
- The Pima Indians have the highest incidence of Type 2 diabetes in the world.
- Promoting Oral Health Among Diabetics by Edmund Julian L. Ofilada, D.D.M., a dentist in the Philippines, discusses the importance of proper dental care.
- The Stanford University School of Medicine offers information about the Diabetes Prevention Trial.
- From Test Tube To Patient: Protecting America's Health Through Human Drugs describes the process required of companies who want to market a new drug in the U.S. market.
- "Tracking the genes to conquer diabetes" by Edward Colimore of the Philadelphia Inquirer presents an interesting overview of diabetes research, as well as links to diabetes-related web sites.
[ Links Home | ADA | JDRF | CDA | Companies | General | Government & Hospitals | Medical | Misc. | Non-Profits | Blogs ]
Links validated on August 22, 2006
Last Updated: Tue Aug 22 13:09:13 2006
Copyright © 1995-2007 Diabetes123 and Children with Diabetes. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms of Service. Comments and Feedback. Disclaimer. Privacy statement.