The Diabetes Prevention Trial - Type 1, or DTP-1 for short, showed that giving small amounts of injected insulin to people at high risk for developing type 1 diabetes did not prevent the progression of the disease. These results were published in the May 30, 2002 edition of The New England Journal of Medicine. Furthermore, giving oral insulin did not prevent progression of the disease either.
For More Information
- Effects of Insulin in Relatives of Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Diabetes Prevention Trial–Type 1 Diabetes Study Group
- Results of the DPT-1 Trials from the Type 1 Diabetes TrialNet web site
- Injected Insulin Fails to Prevent Type 1 Diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Trial--Type 1
- Insulin Injections Fail To Prevent Type 1 Diabetes
January 4, 2005
Last Updated: Tue Jan 04 18:00:02 2005
Copyright © 1995-2006 Diabetes123 and Children with Diabetes. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Terms of Service. Comments and Feedback. Disclaimer. Privacy statement.