Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.
- Based on my patient's laboratory results and diagnosis of type 1, can you give me a second opinion about his treatment, diet, exercise, etc.? (29 Dec 2008)
- Because he had some symptoms of diabetes, I checked my son's blood sugars. Some of his random readings were elevated, but the blood work done by the doctor does not indicate diabetes. What should I do? Is there further diabetes testing he should have done? (29 Dec 2008)
- My mum had a foot ulcer that is healing well, but she now has no appetite and her neck is very stiff. Should I be worried about kidney failure? (27 Dec 2008)
- As a volleyball player, I have trouble finding a place to keep my pump. It has fallen out in the past, but I was high when I removed it. What should I do? (26 Dec 2008)
- Recently, I have reduced my son's insulin, but I am seeing a "whacky" pattern of blood sugars. How can I fix this? (25 Dec 2008)
- How do I go about ordering a MiniMed Paradigm REAL-Time System for my daughter? Do I need to contact the insurance company first? (24 Dec 2008)
- The doctor thinks my son's body is producing antibodies to the insulin we are injecting. His blood sugars remain high on injections, despite different insulin regimens. What should we do? (24 Dec 2008)
- Six months after her diagnosis with type 1, my daughter is again wetting her bed. Why would this be happening? (22 Dec 2008)
- My son has had a variety of symptoms for five years, including some random high blood sugars. Tests have never provided a diagnosis. What should we do? (22 Dec 2008)
- Recently, my daughter has developed a sweaty scalp smell, even right after washing her hair. Is there any connection between this and her diabetes? (22 Dec 2008)
- Two of my daughters were diagnosed with type 1 recently. A third had an A1c of 6.2, but is asymptomatic. Could she be in the early stages of diabetes? Is it common to have three children with diabetes in the same family? (22 Dec 2008)
- My granddaughter's infusion sets are not adhering well on her stomach. When in her thigh, she has higher blood sugars. Where else can she place her sites? Could she use an angled set in her thigh rather than the straight set she now uses? (21 Dec 2008)
- On weekends and holidays, my son prefers to disconnect his pump and take injections. He runs high the first night even though I make sure he still has Humalog in his system when I give him Lantus. What do you recommend? (21 Dec 2008)
- Is it true that children with diabetes are more apt to develop ADHD or ADD? (20 Dec 2008)
- Based on the following laboratory values received today, what type of diabetes might I have and how might it best be treated? (19 Dec 2008)
- At 23 weeks pregnant, I take insulin twice daily. My postprandial blood sugars are elevated. What do you recommend? (19 Dec 2008)
- Since beginning pump therapy, our daughter has lows after unplanned exercise. Is this normal? Are we doing something wrong? (19 Dec 2008)
- My daughter sometimes has a bad stomachache and diarrhea lasting about seven hours. Are these symptoms of celiac, appendicitis, or another allergy? She also gets itchy rashes on her torso and where are arms and legs bend. What could cause them? (15 Dec 2008)
- My son developed fairly severe vision problems several weeks ago and is scheduled for ERG and IVFA exams. His vision is now normal. What is your opinion? (15 Dec 2008)
- Can you tell me the latest on the closed loop pump? What can you tell me about the injection site that's like a pump, but doesn't have the attachment to a pump? (15 Dec 2008)
- My son's school hockey coach had a school doctor write a protocol for my son to play and makes my son check his blood sugar in front of a coach. Is this discrimination? (15 Dec 2008)
- An ER doctor said our son probably has diabetes, but subsequent tests said this may not be correct. Can you help us understand what is going on with our son? (11 Dec 2008)
- Because of the fragility of the Y chromosome, is a male fetus less likely then a female one to survive a diabetic pregnancy? (11 Dec 2008)
- Do you have any information on the cognitive effects of type 1 diabetes in the school setting? (8 Dec 2008)
- I've had diabetes for 26 years. For the past five years, I have been waking up high around 2 or 3 a.m. Is this the Somogyi effect or something else? (8 Dec 2008)
- What foods can I give my daughter so that her diet is similar to that of her twin brother? (8 Dec 2008)
- About a month ago, my son was diagnosed with type 1, but I keep needing to reduce his insulin due to low blood sugars. Could he have been misdiagnosed? Is there any relationship between the use of ketotifen and diabetes? (8 Dec 2008)
- Based on his GAD result, my son will eventually be diagnosed with type 1, according to the pediatrician. Can you help me understand my son's diabetes status? (6 Dec 2008)
- Is Synthroid the only treatment for Hashimoto's thyroiditis? (6 Dec 2008)
- What is the current thinking on the effects of higher pre pubertal A1cs? Do higher blood sugars in children pose long term health risks or not? (3 Dec 2008)
How to Submit a QuestionUse the Question Submission Form to submit a question to the Diabetes Team.
If you want information about an individual situation, please include the age of the child or teenager, or if an adult, whether the person is a young adult, middleager, or senior citizen. Also, indicate the type of diabetes (Type 1 or 2) and let us know about how long the diabetes has been diagnosed.
A valid e-mail address must be included with your question. We cannot answer questions submitted without an e-mail address. If you want other readers to be able to send you e-mail about your question, let us know and we'll include your email address in the answer.
Remember, answers given will be answered in general terms for the benefit of all our readers, and therefore may not specifically give medical information that will directly apply to your situation (See our Disclaimer).
Before you submit your question, please check the index of previous questions to see if we've already answered your question.
Questions may be edited for space and clarity.
Tessa G. Lebinger, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since November 1995)
Kenneth J. Robertson, MBChB MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician and Diabetologist, member since April 1996)
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)
And Our Occasional Experts
Last Updated: Mon Dec 29 20:27:38 2008
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by Children With Diabetes, Inc, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2009. Comments and Feedback.